The Advantages and Disadvantages of Working From Home
This past year has seen more and more people either choosing or having to work from home. There are both advantages and disadvantages to this. Some people love working from home, but it is not for everyone.
You may own a home-based business, or you may work for a company that allows or even encourages working from home. Some businesses realize that it is more cost-effective than having office space for workers and that those folks actually are more productive than if they needed to drive to an office and sit at a desk all day.
Let’s consider some of the advantages and disadvantages that come with working from home.
- No commute means less stress and more time: The time you would spend in your car, in traffic during rush hours can be spent actually working. Better for you and better for employers.
- Choosing your most productive hours: Not everyone functions at their best from 9 am to 5 pm. When you work from home you can work during the time you are most productive. This can be a big boon to your work life balance.
- Being comfy: If your home offers great space, with great light or a quiet, inviting cubby that is built just for you, work can flow more easily. Wear your most comfy clothes, even your jammies if it means better productivity.
- Reduce distractions: Make a space all your own. If you are thinking of building a custom home, you can create a space where distractions are limited and controllable. No distractions from coworkers, employees, and office chatter.
- Working from home reduces stress: You get to decide when to work, where to work, when to take a break for a hot cup of tea, a walk, a swim, or some air on the patio. It’s all up to you and when stress happens, you can take time away from your desk at will. When you live in a community that offers walking trails, recreation centers, and pools, you can arrange your day to get in some fun and exercise.
- Save money: No more wear and tear on your car or high gas prices on that long commute. No more needing to constantly buy new clothes or dry clean suits. And did you know that you can write off a portion of your home office expenses on your taxes when you work from home? Your office can be considered a write off. Even part of your electric bill can often be considered an expense.
- You need to have a lot of self-discipline: It’s all on you. What time you get up in the morning, how to structure your workday, what to focus on are all up to you. Procrastinating can be enticing. Setting up a place that makes you feel comfortable yet, feels like a work environment can be helpful.
- Overworking: Your work and personal life begin to blur when you work from home. You have to learn to shut it down and take time for yourself. Cook a healthy meal in your state-of-the-art kitchen. Try not to overwork. You might get lonely. Most people who work from home miss the social aspect of the office environment. No gossiping with fellow coworkers, taking lunch together, or having the after-work cocktail. You will need to account for that. Invite friends over to hang out in your lovely home.
- Be careful not to lose your living space: It is important to create a true home office or workspace and not encroach on your living areas. Do not work at the dining room table or kitchen counter. When you buy a custom-built home, you can plan your work environment carefully.
When you build a new home at North River Ranch, you can plan to have the perfect place to work in at home, with perfect lighting and the space you need. And at North River Ranch, you can go outside and recharge during your off-hours and enjoy the beautiful surroundings and many amenities. Visit us at https://northriverranch.com for more information.
About North River Ranch
North River Ranch is the flagship master-planned community for Neal Land & Neighborhoods, strategically positioned and carefully planned to evolve to meet the needs of tomorrow’s families and active adults. It’s a fresh approach to development in southwest Florida unlike anything in the market today.
About Neal Land & Neighborhoods
Neal Land & Neighborhoods is a Manatee and Sarasota, Florida-based community and master land planning and development organization led by John A. Neal. The company incorporates smart master-planning and public infrastructure solutions to create the next level of elite community planning in Southwest Florida. By working with carefully selected new home builders, Neal Land & Neighborhoods aims to establish thriving, sustainable, livable, and ecologically sensitive communities throughout Manatee, Sarasota, and Hillsborough counties. Neal Land & Neighborhoods currently owns or controls several thousand acres of land entitled for more than 9,000 future residential homes and the supporting mixed-use commercial and retail. For additional information, visit www.nealland.com.